Brochure Type: 2021 Europe & Beyond Preview
Just as Rome was the foundation for modern civilisation, so too is it the ideal start for this superb journey. Spend three days in this ancient city, visiting the Vatican Museums before they are opened to the public. Then follow in the footsteps of Julius Caesar, venturing north to the Rhine Valley, where he built the first bridge to cross the Rhine River. Splendid Europe is packed with fascinating experiences and thrilling interactions with passionate locals.
- Venice: In St Marks Square at sunset, long after the day-trippers have gone to their mainland hotels, sip Bellini cocktails canal-side before dinner at a local restaurant.
- Vienna: Cafe Central has been frequented by many of the elite, including revolutionary Trotsky and psychoanalyst Freud, since 1876. Still a meeting place for philosophers and storytellers, a local shares tales of a by-gone era, as you enjoy delicious Viennese specialities of coffee and Sachertorte.
- Lucerne: Choose from a selection of fine restaurants on your Dine-Around Evening.
- Dining Summary: 13 Breakfasts (B), 1 Morning Tea (MT) and 5 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Vatican City: Enjoy VIP fast-track entry into the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel, as well as exclusive access to the Bramante Staircase that is usually not open to the public. During your visit to St Peter's Basilica, see Michelangelo's 'Pieta' and Bernini's intricately carved Papal Altar.
- Venice: Witness the ancient skill of glassblowing and watch artisans create delicate works of art.
- Venice: Learn how the Venetian gondola is made on a visit to a traditional arts centre.
- Rhine Valley: The beautiful scenery of the Rhine River is punctuated by the many castles dotted along its banks. Delight in a private estate viewing of one of these Rhineland castles and learn more about these living cultural monuments located along the Middle Rhine.
- Rome: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum as well as other medieval buildings, Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered through the city.
- Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark's Square and see the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark's Basilica.
- Postojna Caves: Explore the remarkable natural wonder of the Postojna Caves. Venture through a series of caverns and passages, hollowed out by the Pivka River for over two million years.
- Vienna: Tour the Ring Road to see the Hofburg Imperial Residence, Opera House, Parliament Building and Karlskirche.
- Salzburg: Join your Local Expert for a visit to the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace and Residence Square - both locations used in 'The Sound of Music'. You will also see the imposing fortress, the immense cathedral and Mozart's birthplace on the lively Getreidegasse.
- Innsbruck: Enjoy an orientation with your Travel Director as you walk the narrow streets of the Old Town, lined with medieval houses and arcades, to see the Golden Roof and Imperial Palace.
- Vaduz: Admire the Royal family's residence, Vaduz Castle, which overlooks the capital and is surrounded by year-round snow peaked mountains.
- Lucerne: View the emotive Lion Monument and walk the covered Chapel Bridge to see the Jesuit Church.
- Amsterdam: Cruise in a glass-topped boat through the old waterways, where the wealthy merchants built mansions during the Golden Age of the 17th century.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival flights are as per the itinerary start date, then arrival transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport. You may purchase transfers to London Heathrow and Gatwick airports on departure day, or when additional night accommodation has been booked through Insight Vacations. Alternatively, please make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (330) 264-5554 for more information or to book today! Mention code 15010023
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 9/30/2020
- 14 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Rome||Welcome to the City of Rome.: Rome is one of the world's most historic cities, filled with classic antiquities, medieval buildings, Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches. Transfers to your hotel depart Rome's Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci Airport at 09:30, 12:30 and 15:30. Then this historic city is yours to discover. At 17:30, join your Travel Director for a Welcome Dinner and the opportunity to mingle and get to know each other over a relaxed evening of authentic local specialties and wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
Veneto Palace Hotel, Rome.
|Day 2||Rome||Exploring Papal Rome.: A Local Expert introduces the grandeur of the city, starting with the Vatican State, the richest community on the world. Visit the Vatican Museums, full of priceless treasures collected by the Popes. Insight provides special VIP, fast-tracked entry to avoid the crowds, together with behind-the-scenes access to the Bramante Staircase - a marvel of Renaissance architecture normally off-limits to the general public. Once inside the Sistine Chapel, admire Michelangelo's famous ceiling. Next door, visit St. Peter's Basilica to admire Michelangelo's emotive 'Pieta' and see Bernini's intricately carved Papal Altar. The rest of the day is yours to shop in the trendy boutiques or relax at a sidewalk cafe. Perhaps join an Optional Experience to visit the Colosseum, the scene of many gladiatorial contests, and see the Roman Forum? (Breakfast)|
Veneto Palace Hotel, Rome.
|Day 3||Rome||Rome at Leisure.: The day is yours to enjoy Rome at your own pace. Perhaps take an optional experience to the ill-fated town of Pompeii, frozen in time when it was engulfed by an eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD. Alternatively, spend some time in the boutiques of the Via del Corso, the Via Nazionale or the elegant designer stores near the Spanish Steps? As night falls, why not sip on prosecco at a sidewalk cafe in Piazza Navona - the Living Room of Rome - and enjoy life's pageantry pass by? (Breakfast)|
Veneto Palace Hotel, Rome.
|Day 4||Venice||Autostrada del Sole to Venice.: Journey through peaceful Tuscan landscapes, to descend past Bologna into the fertile Valley of the River Po. Arrive at the glorious city of Venice by water taxi and savour a cocktail at sunset whilst you are serenaded by an ensemble of talented musicians, long after the day-trippers have returned to their mainland hotels. In the evening, enjoy dinner at a local restaurant. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Eurostars Residenza Cannaregio, Venice.
|Day 5||Venice||Venice.: Wake up ready to embrace this romantic city. Admire the Doge's Palace and its adjoining Bridge of Sighs. Witness the skill of glassblowers and learn how the Venetian gondola is made on a visit to a traditional arts centre, before taking a private cruise to St. Mark's Square where St. Mark's Basilica exudes the city's former wealth and power. (Breakfast)|
Eurostars Residenza Cannaregio, Venice.
|Day 6||Ljubljana||Venice to elegant Ljubljana.: Depart Venice by water taxi and continue your journey to the Slovenian capital of Ljubljana. A Local Expert shows you including Pre?eren square with the Triple bridge, baroque Franciscan Church and and the lively banks of Ljubljanica river. (Breakfast)|
Hotel Lev, Ljubljana.
|Day 7||Vienna||Ljubljana to Vienna.: Follow the Drava River and cross over the Slovenian border to reach the 700-year-old university town of Maribor. Continue past Graz through Styria's forested mountains and on to Vienna. (Breakfast)|
|Day 8||Vienna||Vienna and the Habsburgs.: In the morning, there is the option to join a private tour of Maria Theresa's Schonbrunn Palace and formal gardens. Ready your camera for a drive around the famous Ring Road. This grand boulevard, built along the lines of the old city walls, showcases many of the capital's architectural masterpieces, including the Opera House, magnificent Hofburg Imperial Residence and Austrian Parliament Building. Join your Local Expert for a walk through Innere Stadt, the historic core of Vienna. Explore Vienna with Insight Choice. Choose between a visit to a traditional Viennese Cafe to enjoy local specialities of coffee and sachertorte. Alternatively, listen to the musical masterpiece of Mozart as you take to the floor in a Viennese Waltz dance lesson. (Breakfast)|
|Day 9||Innsbruck||Salzburg and on to Innsbruck.: Pass the impressive Benedictine monastery of Melk before reaching the enchanting city of Salzburg, birthplace of Mozart and the iconic musical 'The Sound of Music'. A Local Expert will show you the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace, including the fountains and statues where the 'Do, Re, Mi' scene was filmed. Cross Residence Square with its fountain, where Maria sings 'I Have Confidence' and see the imposing fortress, the immense cathedral and Mozart's birthplace on the lively Getreidegasse. Perhaps join an excursion to the famous Eagle's Nest? Continue to the mountain ringed Tyrolean capital of Innsbruck to see the Golden Roof and Imperial Palace. (Breakfast)|
AC By Marriott Hotel Innsbruck.
|Day 10||Lucerne||Liechtenstein to Lucerne.: Journey past flower-filled meadows and picturesque chalet-style villages to the Principality of Liechtenstein. Spend some time in its tiny capital, Vaduz, then cross into Switzerland and through glorious mountains to lakeside Lucerne. On arrival, visit Lucerne's proud Lion Monument, carved into a limestone cliff and dedicated to the heroic Swiss Guards who died defending King Louis XVI during the French Revolution. For your Dine-Around Evening, choose your own style of cuisine from our selection of local restaurants. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Astoria, Lucerne.
|Day 11||Lucerne||Lakeside Lucerne and Mt. Stanserhorn.: In the morning, embark on a scenic journey by funicular railway and open-top cable car to the summit of stunning Mount Stanserhorn. Take in the pristine mountain air and on a clear day you can see as far as Alsace and the Black Forest. Explore Stanserhorn with Insight Choice. Choose between taking a walk along beautiful scenic pathways for a chance to see marmots and other native animals. Alternatively, join a Swiss ranger and hear a talk to learn about local wildlife and flora in the area. Once you return to Lucerne, take some time to stroll across the covered Chapel Bridge and see the baroque Jesuit church. The rest of the day is at leisure to shop for fine watches and delectable chocolates. (Breakfast)|
Hotel Astoria, Lucerne.
|Day 12||Konigswinter||Legends along the Rhine.: Enjoy travelling through Germany and follow the Rhine Valley north to Konigswinter. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Maritim Hotel Konigswinter.
|Day 13||Amsterdam||Canals of Amsterdam.: Delight in a private estate viewing of one of the famous Rhineland castles and learn more about these living cultural monuments situated along the Middle Rhine over a glass of wine. Continue your travels to Amsterdam. The best way to see this remarkable city is from the water as you cruise through the canal district, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Admire the elegant merchant houses from the 16th and 17th centuries, their facades are a reflection of when trade flourished during Amsterdam's Golden Age. Relax as you pass stunning gables, beautiful churches and the iconic Magere Brug, better known as the Skinny Bridge. In the evening, toast your adventure and newfound friends during a Celebration Dinner at a local restaurant. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam.
|Day 14||Amsterdam||Depart Amsterdam.: After breakfast, transfers arrive at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport at 08:00 and 10:00. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: This is a 2021 Preview itinerary. Please refer to the Preview booking conditions page for full terms and conditions.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class