Country Roads of Bavaria, Switzerland & Austria (Summer 2020)
Brochure Type: 2020 Europe & Britain Premium
Surprisingly, the vineyards, gabled shop fronts and opulent palaces play second fiddle to the scenery. Experience the magical, unrivalled beauty of the Alpine world, on-board the enthralling Glacier Express.
- Vienna: For your dining pleasure, you are offered a selection of Vienna's vibrant restaurants. With drinks, a delicious 3-course dinner and Gemutlichkeit in abundance, your Dine-Around Evening is a culinary experience not to be missed.
- Stanserhorn: A spectacular journey by cable car and cogwheel railway takes you to the summit for expansive mountain views over Lake Lucerne for your special Celebration Dinner. Fill your glasses with wine, toast to newfound friends and admire the spectacular 360 degree views as the restaurant slowly rotates. Savour delicious local flavours like smoked trout or Alpermagronen, a Swiss Alpine Macaroni and embrace this fantastic wining and dining experience as you celebrate a great trip.
- Dining Summary: 11 Breakfasts (B) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Oktoberfest: Strap on your Lederhosen for a visit to the world's greatest Volksfest in Munich on select departures.
- Munich: See Feldherrnhalle in the Odeonsplatz, the Palace of the Dukes of Wittelsbach, the English Garden, the Hofbrauhaus, St. Peter's Church and the famous Marienplatz.
- Neuschwanstein: Explore the fanciful rooms and legends of the Neuschwanstein Castle alongside a Local Expert and take in the amazing views of valleys and verdant mountains.
- Oberammergau: Explore the town and see the theatre where the Passion Play has been performed since 1634 and the next performance will be in 2020.
- Salzburg: Join your Local Expert to visit the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace and Residenzplatz. See the cathedral in the Old Town and the house where Mozart was born.
- Mondsee: View the church featured in 'The Sound of Music.'
- Vienna: Enjoy a private tour of Schonbrunn Palace, guided by your Local Expert as you stand beneath frescoed ceilings, crystal chandeliers and gilded Rococo frames where Mozart performed as a child prodigy.
- Vienna: During your orientation led by your Travel Director, travel along the Ring Road to see the Hofburg Imperial Residence, Opera House, Parliament Building and Karlskirche.
- Kindberg: During your orientation see the colourful maypole.
- St. Veit an der Glan: During your orientation learn about this historic town.
- Innsbruck: See the Old Town with its 14th century houses, Imperial Palace and Golden Roof during your orientation with your Travel Director.
- St. Moritz: During your orientation of this alpine resort see the spa quarter and glacial lake.
- Glacier Express: Journey through the heart of the Swiss Alps aboard the world-famous Glacier Express. Once settled into your modern panoramic viewing car, sit back as Mother Nature unveils a scenic symphony of epic grandeur.
- Lucerne: During your orientation with your Travel Director, see the emotive Lion Monument, Jesuit Church and Chapel Bridge.
- Scenic Drives: Your journey ventures through the Bavarian Alps, along the German Alpine Road, through the Semmering Pass, passing the Alps, the Tyrol region, Engadine Valley and the Grison Alps.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (330) 264-5554 for more information or to book today! Mention code 14887037
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2020
- 11 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Munich||Welcome to Fun-Loving Munich.: Transfers to your hotel leave Munich airport at 10:00 and 13:00. Join your Travel Director at 15:00 for an orientation tour of the city. See the Feldherrnhalle in the Odeonsplatz, the Palace of the Dukes of Wittelsbach, the English Garden, the Hofbrauhaus, St. Peter's Church and the famous Marienplatz. Join your fellow guests for a drink and enjoy a pleasant Welcome Dinner at Donisl restaurant. (Dinner with Wine)|
Pullman Munich Hotel.
|Day 2||Munich||Jewels of the Bavarian Alps.: Embark on an exciting visit to Neuschwanstein Castle, bristling with turrets and pinnacles and built for the wildly eccentric King Ludwig II as a retreat. See the exuberantly decorated apartments including the Throne Room and Lohengrin Grotto. On return to Munich, the rest of the day is free for you to explore Bavaria's capital city. Perhaps visit one of its many art galleries and museums, or relax and enjoy a coffee in the delightful Marienplatz? (Breakfast)|
Pullman Munich Hotel.
|Day 3||Vienna||The City of Mozart and on to Vienna.: A short drive over the Austrian border leads to Salzburg, 'alive with the sound of music'. Join your Local Expert who will show you the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace, Residenzplatz, the city's imposing fortress, the immense cathedral in the Old Town and Mozart's birthplace on the lively Getreidegasse. Continue to the Austrian capital of Vienna. (Breakfast)|
|Day 4||Vienna||Vienna and the Habsburgs.: Join a Local Expert for a private tour of Schonbrunn Palace, Austria's famous imperial summer residence. Marvel at its frescoed ceilings, crystal chandeliers, mirrors and gilded ornaments, before spending some time in the perfectly manicured gardens. Then see the city's many highlights, including St. Charles' Church, the Hofburg Palace, Parliament and State Opera House. Enjoy the rest of the afternoon at your leisure for further exploration. (Breakfast)|
|Day 5||St. Veit an der Glan||Sleepy Austrian Byways to St. Veit an der Glan.: Take a delightful drive through undiscovered Austria. Climb the dramatic Semmering Pass and stop in Kindberg with its colourful maypole. Continue south to the border to arrive in historic St. Veit an der Glan. (Breakfast)|
Hotel Die Zeit, St. Veit an der Glan.
|Day 6||Innsbruck||The Dolomites to Innsbruck.: Journey through the High Tauern mountains and see the Dolomites in the distance as you travel to the charming Alpine city of Innsbruck, set in a valley of snow-capped mountain peaks. Your Travel Director provides an orientation of the city to see its 14th century houses of the Old Town, the impressive Imperial Palace and the delightful Golden Roof. This evening, join your fellow travellers for a delightful dinner and wine at a local restaurant. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
AC by Marriot Hotel, Innsbruck.
|Day 7||Beautiful||Beautiful Innsbruck.: Awake to the beautiful alpine town of Innsbruck, set in a valley of snow-capped mountain peaks. The day is free for you to enjoy the cities many sights as you wish. (Breakfast)|
AC by Marriot Hotel, Innsbruck.
|Day 8||St. Moritz||The Engadine Valley and Chic St. Moritz.: Take in the stunning views of the beautiful Engadine Valley, as you enter Switzerland headed for the chic Alpine resort of St. Moritz. Enjoy St. Moritz's marvellous scenery, fresh air and perhaps visit its many luxury boutiques. You may even choose to step aboard the Bernina Express to experience one of Europe's most outstanding train journeys. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Steffani/Crystal Hotel, St Moritz.
|Day 9||Lucerne||All aboard the Glacier Express and on to Lucerne.: Embark on an iconic train journey onboard the Glacier Express, as you take in vistas of ice-capped mountains, stone-built villages and lush meadows. Ascend through the spiral tunnels of the Albula Pass and cross the Landwasser Viaduct before heading down through the Oberalp Valley to rejoin the coach at Andermatt. Continue north, following the staggering Schollenen Gorge through William Tell country, to lovely lakeside Lucerne, one of Europe's most popular cities set on the banks of Lake Lucerne. Join your Travel Director to see the sorrowful sculpture of the dying lion, cut out of a limestone cliff to commemorate the Swiss Guards who died at the Battle of the Tuileries. (Breakfast)|
Hotel Astoria, Lucerne.
|Day 10||Lucerne||Dinner at the Roof of Europe in Stanserhorn.: Enjoy the morning at your leisure to explore the city's 14th century covered wooden bridges, painted gables, old walls and watch towers of the medieval fortifications. Stroll across the Chapel Bridge to the Jesuit Church, or use your free time to shop. Later, head to the town of Stans where you'll embark on a scenic journey by funicular railway and cable car, to the summit of the stunning Stanserhorn. On a clear day there are views as far as Alsace in France and the Black Forest in Germany. Here amid true Alpine majesty, your journey literally peaks with an unforgettable Celebration Dinner, hosted in Drehrestaurant Rondorama, located atop the mountain. Enjoy a glass of sparkling wine and admire the stunning 360-degree views as the restaurant slowly rotates throughout the evening, ensuring you don't miss a thing. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Astoria, Lucerne.
|Day 11||Zurich||Leave Lucerne for Zurich.: Bid farewell to your travel companions and transfer to Zurich airport, arriving at 08:00. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. (02 Oct, 18 Sep and 25 Sep) Oktoberfest: These departures stay in Munich during Oktoberfest and will visit the festival instead of the City Centre. (04 Sep and 18 Sep) These departures will stay at a hotel of similar standard in Vienna.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class